At present Bangladeshi parents are spending 3 times more money on coaching fees or keeping house tutors compared to the money spent on tuition fees.But the question is ‘WHY?’
And the answer is very simple.It’s just because of our education system and the unethical behavior of the teachers.A section of teachers invite students to join their coaching centers.The students who refuse to do so begin receiving lower grades and unfair treatment in the classroom.That’s why parents are being forced to go there.
According to the Education Household Survey-2014, about 29% of total education expenditure goes into coaching or house tutors.
This is a dangerous situation for our country.because most of the parents can’t bear that much cost for educational purpose.As a result poor families are losing their interest in teaching their children.If this continues we will lag far behind in terms of education.
So we must change our education system as well as teaching methods.We know it’s not possible overnight.But we have to do it wholeheartedly.In this regard teachers will play the most important role because they are the creators of a nation.
How to become an ‘Effective Teacher’ –
- Being comfortable in numerous roles
- Exhibiting professionalism
- Having a good ideas about current affairs
- Having a great skill in new technologies
- Sharing this experiences with students
- Being friendly and personable
We must change the traditional way of teaching because it is mostly textbook based. So we have to make it more practical.
We all know that America is a developed country from all sides. American culture in recent years has given much more credit to the ‘know-how’ individual than to the ‘know what’ or ‘know why’ person. Because we all know how things work but very few people know how to use it or where to use it. we can’t use our property because we don’t have that much practical knowledge.
Theory teaches you through the experience of others. It can often lead to a deeper understanding of a concept. Practical knowledge helps you to acquire the specific techniques that become the tools of your trade.
Using technology is one of the most innovative ways of teaching. As example-
- Using audio and video tools: Incorporate audio-visual materials to supplement textbooks during your sessions this can be models, filmstrips, movies, Pictures, infographics or other mind mapping and brain mapping tools.
Such tools will help their imagination thrive and grow. These methods will not only develop their ability to listen but will also help them understand the concepts better. For example-
If you want to teach your students about motor then you can use a video or animation about it, then students can understand easily because it would be more interesting and practical than your lecture.
- Using VR in education: Virtual Reality is already the hottest in the Tech world. This is a computer generated simulation of a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment. When students read about something they often want to experience it. With VR they are not limited to word descriptions or book illustrations, they can explore the topic and see how things are put together. Thanks to the feeling of presence VR provides students can learn about by living it.
Besides these there are many innovative ideas to make our teaching methods more effective.To let’s see HOW TO make our teaching methods more interactive and interesting-
- Creative Teaching: Take the help of tools to stimulate creativity. Include playful games or forms of visual exercises that will excite young Minds and capture their interest.This is a time tested method to identify every young student’s creative abilities and encourage creative contributions .
- ‘REAL-WORLD Learning:Infusion of real world experiences into your instructions will make your teaching moments fresh and enrich classroom learning.
- Brainstorm: Make time for brainstorming sessions in your classrooms. These sessions are a great way to get the creative juices flowing. When we have multiple brains focusing on one single idea we are sure to get numerous ideas and also involve everyone into the discussion.This sessions will be a great platform for students to voice their thoughts without having to worry about right or wrong.Set some ground rules before you start. You can go for simple brainstorming or group brainstorming or paired brainstorming.
- Classes outside the classroom:Some lessons are best learnt when they are taught outside the classroom. Organize field trips that are relevant to the lessons or just simply take students for a walk outside the classroom.Students will find this fresh and exciting. without taking much effort they will learn and remember what you teach them.
- Role Play:Teaching through role playing is a great way to make children step out of their comfort zone and develop their interpersonal skills.
- Welcome New Ideas:An open minded attitude can help you in innovating new teaching methods do you might claim to be open-minded it’s human nature to resist change.
- Work Together as a Team:As everyone knows the end result of the collaborative effort is always immense. Think about spending some quality time with your colleagues and ask them to share their views on improving teaching skills.
- Puzzle and Games:Learning is fun when puzzles and games are part of education.Children may not require taking conscious effort when their lessons are introduced through games.
- Start School Clubs or Groups:Being a teacher you may not get enough time to work on interesting topics that you are passionable about.You can share your views and learn more from others when you have school clubs.
- Introduce Lessons Like a Story:Just think Why do you watch movies with much interest ? You like to watch movies because there is always an interesting story to keep you engaged.Like that learning sessions become more interesting when you introduce it as a story.If you are creative even math lessons related to interesting stories.
I described the whole thing with the perspective of a student.I believe the students can find out the best way of teaching because they are the learners.Thats why they can innovate the most interactive and effective way of teaching cause they themselves know what they need.So teachers should take the feedbacks and the opinions of the students and respect their views.
So now we mostly need the friendly relationship between the teachers and the students.After doing all these measures properly we can hope to have a great education system for our DIGITAL BANGLADESH.
Let’s try our BEST.